English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Tutor
Tutors work one-on-one with adult learners of ESOL to help them practice English. At times tutors help learners make community contacts to help them get established in a new environment. The tutor program promotes intercultural understanding and cross cultural appreciation.
- Once a week meetings for 45 – 90 minutes
- Minimum of 4 months
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English fluently
- Cultural sensitivity and openness to different values/beliefs
- Patience and willingness to provide encouragement
Training and Support
- Pre-service tutors receive a training manual, watch a training video and/or observe a live class, complete a reflection form, and meet with a member of the volunteer team for orientation.
- Active tutors are invited to attend monthly volunteer meetings and attend ILI professional development workshops as available.
- Active volunteers are informed of training opportunities regularly through the Volunteer Connect newsletter and Volunteer website.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Make new friends
- Gain teaching experience
- Learn about other cultures
- Contribute to your community
- Make a positive difference in people’s lives